UPDATE (May 21st 2015):
In the comment by hk0i you will find a simpler way of doing this by installing the coreutils via homebrew
A little while ago I came across a problem in PHP where I had to process large amounts of data from Google Analytics. If I choose a date range that was too large, PHP would run out of memory. I was not able to resolve the memory leak issue caused by parsing very large XML documents so I settled on writing a shell script that would process the data one day at a time by essentially calling the PHP script over and over instead of having it process all data during a single run. I got as far as confirming that this was not a case of simply not having enough memory to do the job, rather there appeared to be a memory leak in a library that I used to process the GA data. Anyway, that memory leak issue is a problem that still needs to be solved, but I did not have the necessary time when I needed this to work and that is not the topic here anyway.
The bash script loops from a start date to an end date, incrementing one day at a time and calls the PHP script on each iteration, passing the date to the script as a parameter.
On Linux it was not a big deal to get it to work:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Now execute the script, assuming you created a file called dateloop.sh and assigned it execute permissions:
And you should get this
1 2 3 4 5
On OSX it is not quite as straight forward (to me), because the date command does not support the --date option. Here you have to jump through a few hoops to get it to work. I was able to figure this out with the help of SiegeX on stackoverflow.com.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
The solution here was to convert both the start and end dates to seconds (epoch) using
and then add the number of seconds for a day (86400) and convert it back to the format I wanted
Not that hard after all, as with everything else, once you understand it.